No. 44 Squadron was the first RAF squadron to be equipped with the Avro Lancaster bomber.
No 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron was based at Waddington from June 1937 to May When the Squadron left Waddington in May 1943 it reformed at RAF.
It was not taken into action until 10 Mar 1942 when 2 aircraft from 44 Sqn attacked Essen. The next month 44 Sqn was to make its first major.